By Johan L. Dupont
A suite of lecture notes according to lectures given on the Nankai Institute of arithmetic within the fall of 1998, the 1st in a chain of such collections. specializes in the paintings of the writer and the past due Chih-Han Sah, on points of Hilbert's 3rd challenge of scissors-congruency in Euclidian polyhedra.
By Jack Williams
The 16th-Century highbrow Robert Recorde is mainly remembered for introducing the equals signal into algebra, but the higher importance and broader scope of his paintings is frequently overlooked.
Robert Recorde: Tudor Polymath, Expositor and Practitioner of Computation offers an authoritative and in-depth research of the fellow, his achievements and his old value. This scholarly but available paintings examines the newest proof on all elements of Recorde’s lifestyles, throwing new gentle on a personality deserving of larger recognition.
Topics and features:
* provides a concise chronology of Recorde’s life
* Examines his released works; The Grounde of Artes, The Pathway to wisdom, The fortress of data, and The Whetstone of Witte
* Describes Recorde’s expert actions within the minting of cash and the mining of silver, in addition to his dispute with William Herbert, Earl of Pembroke
* Investigates Recorde’s paintings as a doctor, his linguistic and antiquarian pursuits, and his spiritual beliefs
* Discusses the impact of Recorde’s writer, Reyner Wolfe, in his life
* stories his legacy to 17th-Century technological know-how, and to fashionable machine technological know-how and mathematics
This attention-grabbing perception right into a a lot under-appreciated determine is a must-read for researchers attracted to the heritage of computing device technology and arithmetic, and for students of renaissance reports, in addition to for the final reader.